Show reviews that mention
store customer customer service service manager order employees money people customers
Filter review

Past due invoice

Update by user Oct 13, 2013

****CORRECTION**** With updated contact info provided by Justin, we were able to settle this issue, and will provide positive feedback to any other contractors who have questions about this franchise.

Original review posted by user Sep 12, 2013
The company I work for provided service at their shelbyville, indiana location.. Changed locks, however the billing information they provided is non-functional, we've been trying to get a $760 payment for 30, and have been provided with 3 different fictitious email and mailing addresses for accounts payable. This is just a warning to all other businesses not to accept billing jobs from this company. You will not get paid. If by some miracle we manage to recoup our loss in material and labor, I will post a retraction. Fair Warning, these guys are deadbeats. I only wished I'd checked the reputation for these jokers before I accepted them as a billing job, instead of cash or company credit card.

As being the Co Manager for this store I don't recall you ever calling with this issue. Maybe you should try a phone call?!? Since you manage to have the internet you could've also emailed the store or the corp office which is listed on our website, neither of which I received a copy of/from. The store email is Shelbyvillein@ruralking.com & the store managers cell number is 217-254-9125. I will make sure and tell Chris the store manager about this tomorrow and screen shot your post to the owner Alex Melvin. While your at it you can come in and fix one of the locks that hasn't worked correctly since your serviced our doors and I'll make sure your so called unpaid bill gets taken care of.

Thanks

Justin D

Tariq
@PissedConsumer723835

This is my promised retraction.. Justin and Chris made this right.

While I'm sure that they're not happy about my original post, and that we're unlikely to get further business from them, I wouldn't hesitate to tell any other contractor who asks that these guys make good.

View more comments (1)
Atlanta, Georgia
Loss
So here is my thing with Rural King! There was a store just a few weeks ago with out a store manager, and a receiving manager. The store was left to the assistant managers to run for a few weeks alone with no answers and no direction. They did the best they could...

We went to our local Rural King in Wooster, Ohio last week to pick up a few items for our pets and look at prices for tarps etc. As we came in there was a great special for RK 5 gallon buckets.

The handwritten sign read, Free Rural King 5 Gal. bucket and 10% off any item you can carry in your bucket (cannot stick out top over 8 inches) Limit six per customer. LIE. Actually, You had to pay for your buckets up front plus tax and then go to Ruralking.com to get a rebate check.

Nowhere on the sign was this mentioned, so this added an extra $18.00 plus tax to the bill right off the bat. My Husband is a Navy war Veteran and showed his DD2-14 and Military I.D. for his 10% discount as usual. BUT, since the 6 items we bought were in RK buckets, they refused his discount.

The clerk then double charged us on the 2 most expensive items we bought, which ended up being around $20.00 over. I paid with my bank card was asked debit or credit, used debit and we took our items out to the truck. My head was trying at that point to wrap itself around $80.00 and change for 6 (well basically 12) items due to the RK Bucket Scam, That still only should have cost maybe $60.00 or so so I looked at the receipt.....added it up and of course took it back in where another clerk looked over my receipt asked 3 times if i was sure i only got 1 bag of cat food and 1 bag of litter, then taken to the "Customer Service counter and told I could have cash or I could have the amount refunded to my card within A FEW HOURS IF NOT RIGHT AWAY BUT DEFINITELY THE SAME DAY! I chose to have it put back into my bank account.

Again I had to go through the Debit Credit rigamarole, put my pin in and was assured my over ring would be back into the bank the same day with no worry. I also pointed out to the clerk, No 10% discount had been given for the RK merchandise I bought that had been IN the RK Buckets, that will be with your Rebate check, not IN STORE. Why then was a Vet not given his IN STORE discount?? Ridiculous.

The promised SAME DAY BANK CARD REVERSAL, well, that has still never happened, I called, was hung up on by 2 separate clerks and 2 times by the person in charge, whom I seriously doubt was a manager but the closest thing to one they had that day who said Oh I can take care of that for you right now, But then refused to. I have read through all of the other complaints about RKA and they all seem to have a common theme, Rip off the customer, Put the customer off as long as you can.

Never give back the funds that the company has Accidentally taken from anyone, LIE to the customer to make them feel at ease and make the customer feel HELPLESS against us as they are just a bunch of "Farmers and Hicks" Well guess what RKA this customer is business and law educated, The Wooster RK is going to get a great article in the next Wayne County Newspaper and all of the small ones as well, And probably online and into all of the tiny burghs in the area, Into Holmes and so on. Rk I hope you have a fine day with the money you will soon be losing.

Rural King Manager
My boyfriend and I heard about a great deal through Rural King to buy a 30 lb bag of Iams dog food for about $30 vs. The 17.5 lb bag of Iams from Walmart we were buying for $23. If I had known their dog food was infested with roaches I wouldn't have bothered because...

We were told we could return and the manager on duty would "probably" be willing to give us some type of discount on a new bag of food. Unfortunately, after purchasing such an infested product from there, the LAST thing I want is a "discount" on yet another bag of potentially infested food. I continue to purchase Iams and have had no further issues with that company and see no reason to try and blame them for the issue.

View more comments
ID
#441994 Review #441994 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Collinsville, Illinois
Loss

Tire mounted with tube just bought

I bought two iner tubes for hay wagon tire.asked cahser if I could get them moumted in my tires.she ask and was told yes .I was told to go to tire shop I had to waite 20 minets the when he comes out he tells me he wont do it.after making me wait and after manger toold me they would do it.this is the one in Vandalia il. did some asking about this adam kid. his fellow emplyes says hes a lazy no count baby quote.this store hires this lazy kids and runs off custermers and they laugh.i
Vandalia, Illinois

The resetting of the Jasper, In store

I would like to know whose brilliant? idea it was to change the Jasper Store. I used to love going in the store, Now I hate it. I am a women and buy mostly things for my animals and that stuff is the farest from the door. I have to cart all of those heavy bags and things all a cross the store to get to the checkout. Also they quit handling Levi Jeans for women. Do not like wrangler jeans! Apparently you do not care much about your employees either, as they now have to drag all of the heavy dog, cat and horse feed from one end of the store to the other end. The heavy stuff should be by the receiving docks, not at the opposite end. I have worked in large stores and this is the worst plan I have seen. Most people I have talked to would rather drive to the tractor supply in Evansville, rather go here since it has changed. I used to shop there alot , know a lot of the employees by first names. Usually was in there at least three times a week, sometimes more. But not any more! Hope you wake up soon before you lose at lot of business.

Always gotta be someone complain because something was moved. Must be a old person not wanting change.

Maybe the exercise will do some overweight people good.

Santa Claus, Indiana

Company direction

alex where is the company headed. who is leading it. fred? greg? susan? you? see that's just it nobody knows. If you think you have hired the people to take this company to the next level your crazy. you have lost your mind. Its a total shame. there is such a potential for this company to be something special. makes its own way in the retail world. walmart made its path on the back of kmart. stole every idea it ever had. Is this your legacy? You willing to bet your future on the ones in charge today? ask yourself one question alex. why do they not still work for wally?

As a former employee, I can tell you that since our former store manager, Jeff, left for the Fla. store, our managerment team has gone downhill.

The manager brought in cannot lead fairly and takes up for his managers that display less than professional leadership because he's just like them. Some managers have been threatened to keep their mouth shut by other managers and just let things go, so they are scared of losing their job. It's sickening really! So many hard working employees and former employees had to leave due to threats and discrimination and favortism.

It's such a shame, as Rural King is such a good store full of products at the best prices for everyone!

We all spent our money there and encouraged family and friends to do so as well. Maybe someday, somebody in corporate will take these complaints serious and really do a real investigation where the good honest managers don't feel threatened to speak their mind of the real deal going on and employees feel free to tell it like it is instead of having to quit their job for trying to call out the bad behavior.

I absolutely agree! we lost a great store leader to some of the ridiculous mistakes that company has made! it is time to open your eyes and realize the good and bad people in the company!

@PissedConsumer699434

I just don't get it. I love the company and the endless possibilities that are in front of them.

I hope they wake up. so many good people but the atmosphere is toxic.

why so many store managers leaving at once? gotta wonder.

@PissedConsumer703160

Anyone who frequents Rural King on a weekly basis, knows the employees and can see how hard we work and what conditions they provide for us. No air flow even for our guests in the summer and freeze a person out in the winter.

We have stood in heat so bad our clothes were ringing wet and sweat dripping down our face. We got a big 12 cent raise for the year, but I'm betting the rest of our money padded some higher ups bank accounts. They wouldn't get those without the dedicated workers. For ex: at the store in Jeff, one of the lady employees came by every morning (except the 1 week she had off) in the summer to water the plants and flowers before the sun came up and she headed to her first job of the day.

She did this on her own time, was never compensated and if you asked her why she did it....she didn't want the plants to die cause nobody else would water them and all the profits would be lost. That is dedication!!! Even she was forced to walk out last week because NOBODY gives a *** about the employees or their situations or feelings. They do what suits them and their selfishness.

The store in Jeffersonville is about empty of these kind of folks. Including myself!

View more comments (3)
ID

Recieve ad in mail same day as sale

I get your Rural King ad on the day of a one day sale by rural mail carrier and by the time I get the paper the sale is over. I live 40 miles to the nearest RK store. Could you send your ad out the first of the week to give us rural people a chance to get in on the sale? Would be much appreciated.It would not change anything just sending it out sooner so that we could participate. Looking forward to you seeing if you could find a solution to this situation. Thanks for your time and God bless

:roll And if they sent it to you 4 days earlier you'd take it to the store and want the sale item THAT day not looking at the date the sale was on.. geezz can't make you people happy

@PissedConsumer710062

Absolutely no one from RK advertising made the previous response.

View more comments (1)
Carterville, Illinois

Worst customer service - Order messed up

I have ordered Field fence $2000 worth, the order goes to Red Brand fencing company and ships to customer. Normally takes about 2 weeks total to deliver, but first shipping was messed up and delivered to wrong address with 1 bundle instead total order of 11 bundles. Called the Ruralking.com and after so many calls and emails, finally RMA number was created to resend the product, but no one cared about until I contacted and again go through the calls and chats. Nothing is being done as they promise, all lies. I have not received the order yet, waiting.. Not sure, will wait couple more days and then go for cancel and get refund and my damages too.
Saint Augustine, Florida
$2000

Extremely Rude throughout the Angola, IN store!

I have seen previous issues here but when an employee follows a customer around making rude remarks all the way to and including the checkout area.... Did I mention the employee only knows how to insult? Could not measure chain correctly or stack 4 only 4 bags of mulch for a handicap man, as was directed kindly. A complaint was filed but NO Manager followed up with an apology, maybe it was a manager's relative or little boyfriend? AT the checkout, the young man or "boy" came up to the checkout girl and stated he wanted to make sure the chain made it that far! I have purchased two welders, an air compresser, and a torch set from RK just to name a few items. I even found a mistake in my favor an an eleven dollar item once and I made the 22 miles round trip to pay them for what the checkout girl missed. Then I had to go find the SKU because they were not sure what to do,
Angola, Indiana

Jeffersonville *** house!

Okay I have to say that I am very discussed after hearing what I did the other day! I must ask Alex, what kind of stores are you allowing to be run? The fact is that your policy states, as well as many complains that have high standards in employment, that managers are not allowed to date fellow managers or hourly employees! However this high standard that Rural King claims to have, has been covered by the smutty management a number of your stores! Example being that a store manager is allowed to openly flirt, say provocative language, and meet for lunch with an assistant manager trainee! At the same store a long time assistant manager is allowed to flirt with cashiers and take them to lunch as well! Is there not a policy in place for managers about this! It's a great way to show the community and fellow employees what type of store is being run! I will let you know that I plan on taking this store to the local media because this issue has been overlooked manager after manager and shoved under the rug as well as many other issues that have caused good employment or some and *** for others! Maybe now someone will wake up! This company may make the money and may make great jobs for the select few that get "manager treatment", but its not what your father founded it to be!

And again this former employee.. actually used to date an hourly associate while they were an assistant.

Funny story. I am "discussed" .. try the word disgusted next time. You can go ahead and take this matter to the local media ..

and when they find out you are making statements against someone that isnt true. In word form .. I am pretty sure the word is "libel". That's right along with defamation.

Which you can be sued over.

Like I have stated before .. people in glass houses should not throw stones.

@PissedConsumer690822

You are so correct... The funny thing is Cody hasnt worked for the company for months..

He walked out and quiet his job without giving the company he's so concerned about a notice.. The truth is he was an asst manager and dated an emplyee at anouther store. Him and her are not together now and instead of moving on after several months he continues to harass this girl and cause drama. This is a sick, pitiful excuess of a man and at this point I think the accused should press charges on him for slander..

he didn't come out and name anyone because he is a coward, but we all know there's only one person that is training in that store from Shelbyville.

Maybe Mrs. SHELBYVILLE should go talk to the family friend thats an attorney and get an restraining order for stalking and press charges for slander...

@PissedConsumer691068

Cody walked out on his job because he knew he was on the *** of getting canned himself for doing JUST what he is accusing someone else of doing. He had his fair share of cashiers in the office after store hours.

You are right in saying people who live in glass houses should not throw stones. BUT..

It does continue to go on just with different people. :roll Some things never change.

@PissedConsumer709689

At least Cody didn't name names on a site everyone can read. How rude of you. Now that's real slander!

@PissedConsumer691068

Ha! I haven't been on this sight for awhile now.

There is so much truth to everything that was stated was going on. Good employees quit, because it was sickening to work around. The assistant manager chasing the pants of the regular hourly employee was so obvious. The constant googling eyes, texting on the floor and lunches.

They were seen by employees in the parking lot in the same car cuddled up. I don't care anymore. I took care of the situation for myself and left. Soooo much more than even that was allowed to go on there.

It wasn't all about who's doing who.

Favortisms and laziness was a huge part of why I couldn't stomach the place anymore. However, there are some sweet hard working hourly employees as well as management that only come there to do their job and not anybody else there.

View more comments (4)

Jeffersonville and shelbyville

I am currently an employee here at the Jeffersonville store... I have a major complaint about our new store manager and assistant manager trainee... First off our store manager is beyond rude, he is fair, but his attitude is horrible. Our new trainee from Shelbyville really gets a "special treatment"! Many times I have over heard them say let's meet at our usual place or special place! I was told that managers were not allowed to date people in the same store or be involved with other employees! I really consider this unprofessional and beyond revolting! Can someone please fix this!!??

I work at a Rural King store but I will not say which one. I happen to know who the Shelbyville manager and she is a big *****.

That is all she thinks about. That does not surprise me one bit.

Rural King is the worst company to work for. Once you start work for this company, you are not able to leave unless you quit and pray you have another job.

What's incredibly sad is. There is absolutely no truth to this statement.

This person. Is a not an employee there currently. They are a FORMER employee. They have a personal vendetta against the people they are making a claim to.

Rural King has its faults as a company, yes. All companies do. But as to the "special treatment" this person states the new trainee gets .. how would they know if they ARENT EMPLOYED THERE!

So in conclusion ...

people who live in glass hosues should not throw stones. It tends to end up badly.

@PissedConsumer690809

It's incredibly sad how much all the poor management takes up for each other. There's no perfect store, but it's gone downhill bad in the past few months.

The work moral is very low. The leaders don't set a good example and there's no management to trust that an employee can even go to to talk!

@PissedConsumer690809

It tends to end up badly when you *** where you eat, in all of your cases. And there is nothing Incredible about any of the irritating situations that occur at Rural King on a daily basis for no logical reason.

Things could be 75 percent better but Mr.

Mattingly seems simply off his little rocker. :roll

View more comments (3)
Scottsburg, Indiana

Initially pleased

I ordered 3 Suncast Hose Reels. Conf: 100144321. When I received the order I opened just one to be sure I had the right product. I was pleased and filled out the feedback form online stating that. Unfortunately, a few days later I opened the other two and found that one was missing the 6'hose. I contacted the company and asked that they send me the hose,the unit was perfectly fine. They insisted I had to rebox the entire Hose Reel and send it back and they would then send me another with the hose. Why in the world would they insist on this policy vs. just mailing the missing hose??? Oh yea, it's such a hassel, they know we won't follow their rediculous orders (we'll get it somewhere else), SO THEY WIN & don't have to do anything to make it right. Poor Customer Service!!!
La Center, Washington

PLANO IL RURAL KING NEEDS HELP

THere was a 20 foot sign above all the nursery products in the lot. When I went to checkout my 6...only 6 tomato plants the cashier said they were not nursery products and she would not give me the discount. Since when does 20% off all nursery mean only a few items. The manager was ruder than the cashier. I mean we are only talking a few dollars off. I use to shop there all the time but I have not stepped into that store since. I even tried to call management and got no response. I use to spend about $100 plus there every month on feed and salt,no more.....
Chicago, Illinois
Rural King Cashier

Don't Trust The Product Reviews

RuralKing.com will not publish bad reviews on their products or customer service. Beware. Ever wonder why all of the reviews are so positive? I posted a bad product review 8 times because I checked back on the site and noticed that only the good reviews were showing. I tried and tried again but no luck. RuralKing.com must be editing out the bad reviews. Do not buy from this company. You can not trust the product reviews. My product arrived damaged, rusty, dented, scratched and looked like it had been repainted. Clearly it is a refurbished unit. Do not buy.
Knox, Indiana
Loss
Purchased a King Kutter 5' Finish Mower RFM-60-YK from RuralKing.com. The vendor offered a 10% discount if I completed the order, however, did not honor the discount. I tried to cancel the order, however, they don't allow canceled orders. The mower arrived scratched,...
ID
#420658 Review #420658 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Knox, Indiana